Shirokawa students have the opportunity to sit a test for a new coloured belt three times per year. Gradings are usually held in February, June and October.
Gradings are held on a Saturday morning bringing together students from all of our dojos.
Grading dates for 2024
|Saturday 24 February, 10am-12noon
|Williamwood Parish Church
4 Vardar Avenue
|Download Grading Application Form
or ask for a printed copy in class
|Baillieston St. Andrew’s Church (OLD HALL)
|David Cargill Centre
166 Ledard Rd,
About the test
The test is broken into three sections:
- KIHON – a demonstration of the basic karate techniques
- KATA – a choreographed pattern of karate movements
- KUMITE – pre-arranged sparring
A full kyu grade (white to orange belt) syllabus can be found on our Downloads Page.
Children under 8 years will sit the junior kyu grade (white belt with coloured stripe) and are not required to complete the KUMITE section.
Kata videos will be coming soon to our YouTube Channel.
What to expect on the day
Grading candidates will be invited up in small groups, beginning with the junior kyu grades. Each group takes approximately 15 minutes to complete the test,
All of the results are given at the end of the session once all of the candidates have completed the test. Successful candidates will receive their belt and certificate on the day providing they have registered by the required date.
The entire grading event usually lasts about two hours.
Spectators are welcome.
Please remember that this is a test. Please take note of the following points of etiquette for both candidates and spectators:
- Please try to arrive on time
- Please switch off your mobile phone
- Please do not enter and leave the building during the test
- Please take all of your rubbish home with you.
Before applying to sit the test
Before you decide to grade:
- Ensure that you know and can perform each of the three sections of the test listed above
- Please ask your instructor if they think you are ready to sit the test.